Loren Cordain, Ph.D, author of ‘The Paleo Diet’, provides seven key steps on how to eat paleo (Page 25).
1. Eat a relatively high amount of animal protien, more than the common western diet.
Here’s a couple of posts about protiens
2. Eat lots of good carbohydrates from fruits, grains, and vegetables. Stop eating as many carbs as most western diets consume.
Read this post about PaleoCarbs-the good carbs to eat.
Or check out the list of paleo diet foods for a list of protiens, fruits and veges.
3. Get lots of fiber from your nonstrachy fruits and vegetables.
Fiber found in fresh fruit and vegetables helps us to avoid many common diseases caused by a western diet such as constipation, heartburn, indigestion, irritable bowel syndrome and many more.
4. Eat a moderate amount of fats, with the good monounsaturated and polysunsaturated at the top of the list and the same amount of omega 3 and omega 6 fats.
5. Eat foods with a high potasium content and a low sodium content.
When you cut out processed foods which a re oftne laced with salt (sodium) and consume a paleo diet this will naturally occur as meats, fish, fruits and veges contaim alot more potassium than sodium.
6. Eat an alkaline diet
‘Everything we eat reports to the kidneys as either acid or alkaline base. Acid producing foods are meats, fish, grains, legumes, dairy products, and salt. Alkaline-producing foods are fruits and vegetables…fats are genrally neutral’ (Cordain, pg 54).
We need both acid and alkaline but an alkaline based diet is better for health all round.
7. Eat foods rich in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.
This one gets the tick again by just chaging over to the paleo way of eating.
Basically what Cordain is saying that by consuming a paleo diet , everything else comes into alignment, including your weight and the reduction of wide variety of lifestyle diseases.
I’m finding that my health is definitely improving. In just a short period of time my energy feels better, my skin is glowing, my weight has dropped dramatically, and my mind has a lot more clarity.
Have a great day